Thursday, May 26, 2011

I am me

I have been told many times by people "I like that even though you're a pastor's wife you're still yourself" I'm not sure if that's a compliment or not. But it definitely made me think.
*Who am I
*What impact am I having on others (whether on purpose or not)
*Why am I the way I am.
*What do people expect from me
I have always just lived my life & try to do the best I can. I have struggled w/ self doubts in myself, my looks, & so on. I know I am human & I'm not perfect & I never will be, but I never cared what others thought of me until the day my husband said he wanted to be a youth Pastor. I started thinking
*how will I be a role model
*will these kids (teens & preteens) really look to me for guidance.
My worries slowly went away. I know that had to be God. Some how he gave me sensitivity when need, scripture when asked, honesty for the hard headed (remember I'm talking about teens :))
Then my husband decided we should start a church, which I fully supported. He also thought he should be the head pastor, & took many steps to make sure that he was fit & qualified, so once again I supported him. What I didn't realize was that would make me the Pastor's wife. Some of you may think (like I did @ 1st) 'no big deal' 'doesn't really change anything for me' or 'what is the Pastor's wife duty'
*I support him
*I love him
*I'm pretty submissive
WHAT ELSE IS THERE????
*oh yeah the women in the church
*my role, expectations, etc
and my worldly doubts kicked in too
*am I smart, wise, pretty (yes pretty, you have to be good looking if your husband will randomly point you out during service or have you meet people ;)), strong, or supportive enough.
I never really thought about how much I put on my Pastor's wives (knowledgeable, wise, an example, etc) & what I thought they should be like (Godly women & wives) or the things I respect about them (because they were all these things), or even why we view leadership this way, until I realized other's will prob do the same toward me now.......which brings me back to the statement 'I like that even though you're a pastor's wife you're still yourself'. So does that mean women view me w/ all the things I listed above & it's a bonus that I still seem like myself or I'm not all the things listed above & I'm liked because I am myself? Not saying that other pastor's wives aren't themselves, but I can understand how easy it is to view women in the church as more 'Godly' than what you view yourself to be.
So I admit I struggled w/ those 1st set of questions lately. I have realized I should be more involved w/ the women @ my church, grow closer to them. No I'm not older then some of them but I still need to be an example(Titus 2). Even though I'm not the wisest women & still search my husband's brain for answers I can be a good pastor's wife. I need to dig deeper in my Bible more often. But really all I can be is who God has made me
*a women seeking His heart. Longing for the day when I can see his face.
I am me. I can't change that & I won't. God has changed many things in my heart over the yrs. I am still the insecure female I always have been but I know I have someone stronger to lean upon & finds good in me, othrewise He wouldn't have put me where I am today. I can't worry about what others expect of me I can only be who God has called me to be & hope that others can except that.
So yes, I am
*loud
*honest (w/ others, about me, & my past)
*some times unfiltered
*open
*awkward when given a compliment
*able to laugh @ almost anything
*a mother, daughter, sister, (Pastor's) wife, friend, & me
*caring
*passionate
*messy
*sarcastic
*a cry(er)
*a women who finds her roles important (as a wife & mother)
*laid back
*a believer
and soooooo on.
Thank you Lord for making me me.

1 comment:

Krystle... said...

I'm not sure I've been one to say this but I've heard it said to you and you definitely look confused. I can't speak for anyone else but I can say that you are beautiful woman of God, inside and out (so no worries about being pointed out in public). You display a tender heart that seeks to do what is right and please the Lord no matter what someone might think of you for it. You always speak what you believe to be true but aren't boastful or proud about it. You are you and I love you just the way you are!